Do you want to live in peace? peace of heart, mind and emotions? Do you want to have the calmness in the midst of the storm? Are you searching for peace right now? You can have inner peace while in this world, because the peace I am referring to is not dependent on people or circumstances. It depends on you and if you have taken the following three steps:
1. Have peace with God – we are enemies of God (Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled ), until we make peace through our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus said in John 14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me“. We also read in Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” He is your Creator and Maker of all things.
Peace with God means, peace of heart and it also means security, because you know that you have eternal life and you no longer fear death. We have hope in the Resurrection life of Christ, because He destroyed death, in Him we can have eternal life. And this hope is an Anchor for our soul while on this earth – Heb 6:19 “Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil”.
Christ Jesus is referred to as the “Prince of Peace”, He also said to His disciples in Joh 16:33 “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” and in Joh 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
2. Have peace with yourself – Do you accept and love yourself? (Mat_22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.)- you need to love yourself. Have you made peace with the past decisions and choices you made? (Rom_8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. ) are you critical of yourself? There are so many things that we do and say daily, that may point to the fact that we have no peace with ourselves. One may be negative toward one’s body image and constantly criticizing oneself or speaking negative words over oneself.
If your conscience still condemns you about things in the past, you have no peace and you need to forgive yourself and move on. The past is done, we cannot change it, but we can change the future, by being free of the past. The Word says in Col 3:15 “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” Are you allowing His peace to rule in your heart or not? maybe you need to:
- Ask and accept forgiveness from God
- Forgive yourself.
- Accept forgiveness from others.
If you struggle with any of these points, seek counsel, guidance and help from a mentor, counselor, someone that you know love God and that you trust. You deserve and will find peace with yourself.
3. Have peace with others – Are you still hanging on to bitterness, have an unforgiven attitude and spirit? or resentments from the past? are you still holding grudges? and it may be because someone has deeply hurt and wounded you or broken your trust, and it feels to you, like it can never be restored. Even if you feel that someone does not “deserve” forgiveness., it is a step of obedience, so that you can have peace. The same walls of protection that keep them outside, also keeps you inside. You will not have peace and you will struggle to connect with good people, you will struggle to receive love from genuine people as well. And you will not be able to share the love of God with anyone, because of these protective walls you have build around your heart.
On a more general level, make peace with other’ culture, race, gender, ideas, opinions, etc… practice acceptance. And that means that you allow others the right to be themselves, but it doesn’t mean that you have to adopt their ideas, opinions, etc…
- Ask for forgiveness from others. (Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.)
- Forgive others (Mat_6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:)
- Let go. (Pro_19:11 The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.)
If you struggle with any of these points, seek counsel, guidance and help from a mentor, counselor or someone that you know love God and that you trust. You deserve and will find peace with others. God wants to heal your heart, restore your soul and minister to your spirit. Trust Him to heal and protect your heart from future disappointments. We are all people, we disappoint and hurt others and others hurt and disappoint us, but it doesn’t have to control our lives and take away your peace.
So, give God a chance, He is a loving and merciful God, who loves you. Make peace with Him
Give yourself a break, you deserve peace in your life.
Let go of pain caused by others. Let go!
And the conclusion of it all is – Love! 1Jn_4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1Jn_4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.